Thank you for returning this week to my series on “Storming The Castle Scenes” in a science fiction or comic based movie.
No STCMS list would be complete without a scene from the iconic Star Wars series.
In the 6th installment, “Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of The Sith“, we find the evil General Grievous on his flagship Malevolence surrounded by a kick-butt battle scene. Grievous has “kidnapped” Chancellor Palpatine, the ruler of the Republic. The good guys are not going to allow the four-armed, asthmatic, Jedi killing droid thing to take off with their leader.
Enter our intrepid heroes, Obi Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker and R2D2 (the real hero, in my opinion) in the midst of a battle over the enormous city planet of Coruscant. All they have to do is fly their starfighters through a storm of laser fire, buzz droids, and debris, into Grievous’ heavily armed and armored ship, find and rescue the Chancellor and, if possible, kill or capture Grievous. Simple, right?
This scene for me is awesome for so many reasons. Here are just a few:
- The CGI in this movie is done so well that it’s hard to discern what’s real and what’s computer generated during this opening sequence.
- Lucas takes you on a literal roller-coaster ride as we follow Kenobi and Skywalker through the maze of ships, laser fire and debris.
- The battle is in vivid color and detail. No matter how many times I’ve watched this scene (quite a few times), I always find some new detail to entertain me.
- I can actually feel the heat from some of the explosions because they are so well orchestrated.
- I duck when the heroes fly through debris which is hurtling toward them at breakneck speeds.
- Witty Kenobi dialogue (enough said).
- Realistic debris blown through space; which includes humanoid and metallic remains.
- Screaming droids (again, enough said).
- Obi Wan Kenobi jumping out of the canopy of his jacked up ship and destroying the battle droids. (and yet again, enough said).
Sit back, relax and enjoy. Then, go put in the DVD and watch the whole movie.
If you created a Storming the Castle list, would this scene be on it? Which scenes would you include? Leave a comment and let me know. Remember, all persons who leave comments on my website over the next 5 days (which are not spam) are entered into a drawing to receive an autographed copy of my upcoming poetry collection Freedom: Poetry From A Life, to be released September 1st.
The more you comment, the more your chances for winning grow.
Also, if you subscribe to email notifications, you will be given two additional entries into the contest.
Join me next time for a a Storming The Castle scene from the movie “X-Men Origins: Wolverine”, starring Hugh Jackman, Liev Schreiber and Lynn Collins.
Video from Youtube.com, HelloStarWars 1977. Courtesy of Lucasfilm, Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation
- Storming the Tetragrammaton (yiwashington.com)